Much has happened in the past few weeks. We signed up wholesale with our former IVF clinic to use frozen donor eggs through their donor conception program. All along I wondered about calling some other clinics, looking at some other options, but procrastination took hold and there was something holding me back.
Then one day I added up all of the costs (after paying our initial $750 fee to our existing clinic of course, which is non-refundable. Of course). And I weighed out the success rates, considered how few frozen egg cycles our clinic has done (2 when I first inquired a couple of months ago, one successful, one resulting in a miscarriage). I called another clinic. In another country.
As luck would have it, the doctor who owns and runs that clinic offered us a range of options after reviewing our history (our existing clinic was good enough to send records the same day I asked – a true surprise from my perspective). We have elected to proceed, paid a huge sum of money I can’t even record here because it makes my stomach churn and… are heading to the clinic this weekend to deposit some swimmers because our top choice of donors just happens to be cycling (retrieval is next week but the LP can’t travel then). Our choice was to create blastocysts for freezing and frozen embryo transfer (FET) later rather than sychronize my cycle to a donor’s so this has seemed all together too serendipitous (or a perfect show of synchronicity).
I truly and rather desperately hope this turn of events is a good sign (and not a sign that we have gone completely bonkers). And even more desperately, I hope the pressure is not too much for the LP this weekend. I am praying the stars align here if they are meant to (and I’m hoping they are – detachment is out the window here!).
Please wish us luck!