Azulito, the little embryo that could, has been growing like mad recently. More on that in a moment.
On Monday this week I had blood drawn (9 vials!) at Dr. Braverman’s Long Island office for my second immune panel analysis. Reprosource will get my blood on Tuesday, November 25, 2014. In about two weeks I should get a full report and analysis about these results as compared to my initial results in July and my results at 4 weeks into this pregnancy (really 2 weeks because those first two weeks were the FET lead-up to transfer).
I am hoping that everything continues to remain stable and in particular that my angry cytokines (particularly but not only my Natural Killer cell activity) continue to accept the rainbow of medications and play nicely with others. I also hope there is no hint of an adaptive response by my immune system, meaning I do not want it trying to do an end-run around the cocktail of medications and attacking poor Azulito as has happened so many times before in my unmedicated pregnancies.
A visit to Dr. Braverman’s office is not complete absent a date with the dildo-cam. Monday’s ultrasound showed a wiggly Azulito measuring 24.4 mm or 9 weeks 1 day. That’s four days ahead based on my transfer date. Baby’s little heart sounded amazing – and amazingly fast – as it galloped along at 182 bpm. The blood flow within my uterus is showing “10 out of 10” according to Dr. Braverman, which is important for placenta formation and a very good sign.
In other news, I have been wondering whether Azulito might be an Azulita. The LP does not want to find out baby’s sex before birth. He is pretty steadfast about this but said I can find out and not tell him. How would that work? Not at all in my case. I have a friend who did this as her husband wanted the surprise as well. But she has a better poker face than I do. And a less slippery tongue I bet. I would never make it through two more trimesters keeping that intimate information under my belt.
So where does that leave me? Disregarding the LP’s wishes – even if by inadvertence – or disregarding my own wish to know this baby’s gender. I have had to ask myself why I want to know.
At first it was because I was so flooded with fear and anxiety and I wanted to know as much as I could do I might better be able to bond with this baby. But I was madly in love with the Miracle Toddler long before he arrived on scene and announced he was not a girl as almost everyone predicted but a wonderful little boy. Clearly I can bond with gender being a mystery. Or an unconfirmed hunch.
There are practical reasons of course. In fact practicality is what has prompted me to muse over this. We are considering doing the MaterniT21-PLUS non-invasive prenatal testing and unless you forbid it the lab reports the baby’s sex with the chromosomal results.
As for other practical matters, in support of finding out is whether we will get to reuse all of the boy things from the Miracle Toddler? Or can I accept others’ eagerness to buy girly things for the new bean? If I am being honest, I am not really fussed about that personally. I know others will have strong views to the contrary but this is our hard-won baby and I don’t feel the need to please others in our decision-making about the pregnancy. Not that I am inclined to that sort of thing anyway.
I don’t have any other really good reasons beyond curiosity. Am I missing something? Do any of you have strong feelings about why you would want to or have either found out or waited for the ultimate surprise?