Although not official, the LP and MT and I picked up my blood test results from last week. The great news: my fasting blood glucose and one-hour and two-hour levels were all within the reference range and not supportive of a gestational diabetes diagnosis. Yay!
My OB has already said that either he or my MFM will make me repeat this test between 24-28 weeks but for now I am simply relieved to have one less thing to be worrying about and far fewer medical appointments in the coming weeks than would have been required had I flunked the test at this point. I may ask about an alternate means of evaluating if I have insulin resistance as the two-hour GTT wrecked me for an entire day and I felt hung over the next day as well. I would rather not go through that again if there is a reasonable alternative.
The only hiccup in my test results was that my hemoglobin (HGB) is now low. This is not entirely surprising given my anemia history but I was disappointed to see it having dropped from being in the 160s in late December to under 120 last week. Time to resume more aggressive supplementation so I don’t end up needing injections at my OB’s office. There is always something.
On the subject of scary contractions: Yesterday I had some mild contractions in the afternoon. In the evening, they were full-on and I was in somewhat intense pain/discomfort for about 60-90 minutes in which I had about 3 or 4 (maybe more?) pronounced contractions. They lasted way too long for me to blow them off but not long enough for me to accept the LP’s suggestion that we trek on over to the hospital.
That said, I was scared. Too scared to move. I laid in bed and prayed that Azulito/a was going to be alright. I had felt plenty of movement earlier in the day but nothing during the hour or so that these contractions carried on. When the pain finally passed and my uterus calmed down again I grabbed the Doppler. Baby’s heart rate was lower than usual but still within normal range (usually it is around 160-165; it was 151-153 last night after the dramatic uterine performance).
I have never had Braxton Hicks contractions or “false labour” before. I hope that this is what last night was all about but it seemed really intense to be a practice round for labour this early (I’m only 20w5d today). Naturally, while the contractions were going on I thought about all of the warnings I have been given regarding risks of preterm labour with the placenta previa, immune issues, suspected placental development and prednisone use. I was and am scared but for now my plan is to wait and see rather than calling my OB’s office (which is closed today as it is a holiday here in any event). If this happens again I will call on the “better safe than sorry” principle.
If any of you have experience with this kind of thing I would be interested in your experiences. If anyone is convinced I should not wait and should call my OB or see someone sooner rather than later please let me know. Having never experienced this before I feel a little uncertain about the “right” thing to do.