This week has been hectic as I have tried to prepare to go on maternity leave from work and have a cesarean delivery on Tuesday afternoon. I’ve also been puking and whining about the incessant sick feelings from baby crushing my stomach, guts, esophagus.
The LP has been busy trying to prepare for his next trial which starts on Monday while finishing up the 10th week of the last trial. Fun times all around!
I should say he has been preparing for the 3-week trial that was *supposed to start* on Monday of next week (yes, the day before Azulito/a is scheduled to enter the world and our arms. A story for another day, that is!).
Instead, this afternoon the LP was shuffled by an ophthalmologist to his former retinal surgeon’s office when a perpetually bloodshot eye turned out to be a much bigger issue than originally expected. The LP is now booked for surgery first thing Monday morning – on what is supposed to be my last day of work and his first day of that 3-week trial.
Bad luck? Poor timing? Or a truly unfortunate sense of humour? It is hard to say what’s behind all of this. Clearly we are not in charge!
The hope is that Monday’s initial corrective surgery (essentially snipping off a loose end of stitching that came undone and is impaling a blood vessel and making it bleed into and out of the eye) will solve the problem. If not, the LP may be in for another major eye surgery where the surgeon removes the old stuff and reattaches the retina with a new “buckle”. That is a horrendous procedure that involves the deposit of a gas bubble in the eye which prevents air travel and generally was a life changer the last time the LP had it done.
The timing of this could not really be worse. But what can be done? Nothing. Eye surgery like this is serious business and can’t really be postponed. And neither can our baby’s delivery. So… Next week is bound to be a barrel of monkeys. And then some.
Wish us luck!